Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 26, 2011

Round up


The course content was very challenging. It could take more than 2 hours a day to read background materials and write discussion posts. But the tasks were really feasible and flexible. They didn’t require to read this and this, but to use multiple resources to get a better idea of the technology and its integration. I don’t think there is anything to take out so far. Maybe some time in the future when technology advances. Of course there may be something to include, but at what expense?

The course is a good example to follow when organizing one of your own.  There was a great deal of development work done before we were invited to taste it. The course helped me to look at some things from a different angle: using social networks for education, writing blogs for reflection, or using rubrics for self-assessment. I finally attempted to develop a webquest, and saw it wasn’t at all scary. Sometimes I had an illusion that we were doing everything ourselves, there wasn’t anybody to actually teach us. Yet, when you think you did everything yourself – that’s the best evaluation of your teacher’s efforts to make you think so.


There were many other amazing things: multiple intelligences and technology; developing online exercises and websites; rubrics generation, etc. Everything made me think about the content and how it may mix with technology. Next week the academic year begins. What a perfect time to start implementing changes in our teaching with technology! I am also very excited about sharing my new skills with my colleagues through an online workshop, face-to-face training, and a masterclass.

Yesterday I felt so happy to find a browser that claimed to help me solve the problem with Blogger censorship. Unfortunately, I couldn't post a comment on Santiago's blog, and had to send him a personal message on Nicenet. Here is my comment:

I have similar impressions of the course. Although it's not my first experience, this course was more challenging than others, it kept me in tonus all the time. The resources suggested in the course are very useful, and motivated me to try some of them out in my project. As you may have noticed, I had some problems with the Blogger. So I just thought of it as an example for setting a blog at some other blog platform.

However, providing more links to each topic can be somewhat confusing. Yet there is a class wiki where these links may be shared. I am happy with Delicious where I can access the links shared by my peers.

I agree that the course was great. There was much novelty in it not only for you with less technology experience, but for me as well. Actually, when I assessed my level of technology integration, I was surprised to find myself at Level 2 with some features of Level 3. So, there's a lot to strive for!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tatyana

    Well you are my last blog to comment on, and you have a wonderful final reflection. You hit upon many valuable points:
    1) that you are doing the bulk of the learning yourself, and the "teacher" is more of a designer of the learning experience
    2) that the class is challenging, more so than other similar ones
    3) that the class is intended to have something for newbies as well as those who are more experienced

    To hear these comments from you helps me know we are doing things (mostly) right. Thank you.

    I have been really sad to hear about your ongoing problems making posts to other blogs. I have felt powerless in being able to coach you through that macro-problem, and I know this has been frustrating for you.

    Still, I appreciated having you and your insights along for the ride in our class. Best of luck to you in your teaching!

    Robert

    ReplyDelete